Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Little milestones II

One of the hazards of being a teacher is the attachment one forms to the students. In two weeks I have gotten really attached to a student who is in my summer school. I think on second day I realized that he can't read and some emergency measures had to come in place. In this respect I am particularly thankful to SK who was my reading methods professor. She was a really tough and uncompromising teacher, but boy did I learn a lot. Anyway, Jesse's progress is really amazing. He's starting to read and because his English is very good and I suspect he is very intelligent, he is able to figure out words semantically. I feel like a proud parent and want to show him off to everyone. Unfortunately, summer school is almost over and I hope dr. G (the principal) puts him in my class for next year, so I can continue working with him. I know I should not have favorites or get attached, but I just can't help it.

My class today was really inspiring. One of the reasons I went back to graduate school was teaching little people. One has to simplify one's language and although I really do so minimally, I felt my brain was turning to mush. Ignorance can be blissful and cuddly reality, but it was starting to depress me. Anyway, I think this summer I will try to read up on contrastive rhetoric.

I just checked my Facebook and someone posted a link to Andrei Codrescu's blog on NPR and boy did he ripped Facebook to shreds. I'll save that for my paper for the class. But then again with limited time on my hands how would I find this information without Facebook and all the smartiepants smurfs that gather all the tasty cultural tidbits for me.

OK, time for bed. I promised my friend that I will finish reading his screenplay and comment on it. For once my bluntness is an asset. Plus there are 3 or 4 issues of New Yorker saying "Read Me!"

No comments:

Post a Comment